becoming a Realtor®
If you're interested in being a real estate agent in EDMONTON, you've come to the right place.
First things first: it is mandatory to have a licence to practice real estate in Alberta. That's where we come into play—as the province's governing body for the industry, the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) provides the guidance, education, and licensing you need in order to become a real estate licensee.
Your relationship with us will start with RECA educational courses and your RECA licence; our relationship then continues with yearly re-licensing, and continual guidance, advice, and resources to support your career.
Do you think you have what it takes to join Alberta's over 12,000 real estate licensees? If so, read on.
It's important to learn about the different practice areas within the real estate sector. You can choose up to four practice areas, however, we only require you to choose one to be licensed:
- property management: leasing properties on behalf of an owner and dealing with tenants
- residential: helping clients buy and sell residential properties (up to four individual units)
- rural: helping clients buy and sell farms and ranches
- commercial: helping clients buy, sell or lease office, industrial, retail or multi-residential properties (more than four individual units)
- The fees to join the industry vary depending on which practice area you select. RECA's fees include all eligibility fees, required education courses, and licensing fees.
- For example, if you want to become a real estate agent licensed in one practice area (e.g. residential) the total estimated cost to join the industry is ~$3,350.
- Once you have a licence with RECA, you must renew it annually. The annual renewal fee ranges from $475 to $650 depending on your industry, licence type, and practice area.
- Depending on your industry, and whether or not you wish to also join your trade association, there may also be association and brokerage fees. But these are not a requirement to become a licensed professional.
- Below is a cost breakdown to enter the industry as a Real Estate Associate who is authorized to trade in the residential real estate practice area: